United4Iran is partnering with several other organizations on a global day of action to support prisoners of conscience in Iran. Some estimate that the number of those detained for their political beliefs is in the thousands. In order to humanize the plight of those detained, approximately 50 cases are being highlighted.
One of those cases is Mohammad Oliyaifard, a human rights lawyer who has defended juveniles on death row and activists. He has been sentenced to one year in prison on the charges of “propaganda against the system” and “propagating lies” for objecting to the execution of young offenders.
There are many ways for individuals and organizations to participate in the global day of action. Check out the site 12june.org for more information.
- Wave of Repression in Iran
- Massacre of Prisoners in Karaj
- Urgent action: Stop the Execution of Iranian-Kurdish Student
- Halt Execution of Ahwazi Arabs
- Attack on Civil Society in Iran: Introduction