The chapter on Iran summarizes the continuing abuses of human rights in Iran. It states that more than 6000 arrests were made following the flawed elections in 2009. There have been “routine” arrests and harassments of human rights defenders. Members of minority groups such as the Baha’i and the Kurds have suffered disproportionately. The report also notes the governments efforts to control the universities by forcibly retiring social sciences professors.
To read the full chapter, click here.
- Attack on Civil Society in Iran: Introduction
- Iran Puts Its Foot Down: Netizens, Reporters, and Civil Rights Get Squashed
- Special Rapporteur: Listen to Independent Voices
- Summary of Findings from UN Report on Human Rights in Iran
- Men of Violence: New Report from ICHRI