Arseh Sevom — Arseh Sevom, The International Campaign for Human Rights in Iran, Sanctioned Life, and United4Iran are launching Just Access, an international campaign focusing on the unintended effects of economic sanctions on people living in Iran.
This is a time of great suffering in the region. We want to ensure that we are not further contributing to the suffering because of the denial of access to a payment channel for humanitarian goods and non-sanctioned items. We know the intention of the sanctions is to put pressure on Iran’s ruling elite. We worry that this is not the reality.
The brunt of the suffering falls on women and children and the most vulnerable in society. They suffer the consequences in very real ways. They lose their incomes, their homes, and their access to life-saving medication. Some of this suffering can be alleviated by facilitating the seamless implementation of the existing humanitarian exemptions. These include financial transactions related to medications, basic needs, and other items that are currently not sanctioned.
We ask the European Union to create a payment channel to accept transactions from Iran. This will allow much needed financial transactions for medications and basic needs to take place.
What Just Access asks for is a legal and fair solution to some of the problems many Iranian families are having obtaining basic humanitarian goods and other non-sanctioned items.
Some of this suffering can be alleviated by facilitating the seamless implementation of the existing humanitarian exemptions. These include financial transactions related to medications, basic needs, and other items that are currently not sanctioned.
In order to support Just Access you can:
- Sign the petition at this link;
- Share the petition with your family, friends and social network via facebook and twitter (#justaccess);
- Contact us and send your picture! If you want you can tell us why you support this campaign. We will publish it on the gallery Just Access.
- Ask your family and friends to sign the petition and send us their picture.
- Get involved. Talk about Just Access with your network. Send us questions or comments, we are happy to respond.
- Share your own personal story about dealing with sanctions.
- Use the hashtag #justaccess when you share the campaign online.
Click here to read the campaign statement.